At the Social Justice Learning Institute, we are dedicated to improving the education, health, and well being of youth and communities of color by empowering them to enact social change through research, training, and community mobilization.
We envision communities where education empowers individuals to use their agency for the purpose of improving each other’s lives.
SJLI Core Values
- We privilege the ideas, voice, and leadership of our youth and community members.
- Everyone must be afforded equal opportunity in order to achieve equitable treatment.
- We do all things in love.
- No one is hopeless.
Our goals are simple. We work to:
- build capacity for individuals and communities to advocate for their needs
- train and build leaders
- educate and empower youth and community members to identify and rectify injustice; and to
- deliver effective programs, resources and support that help advance our mission
To meet these goals, we work with youth, residents, local schools, districts and city officials to increase educational opportunities through innovative programs and sustainable practices. We also develop and manage programs that advance academic, food, and environmental justice.